About Dr. Paul Christo
Dr. Paul Christo is an Associate Professor in the Division of Pain Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He served as Director of the Multidisciplinary Pain Fellowship Program for 8 years, and the Blaustein Pain Treatment Center for 5 years at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.
He hosts an award-winning, nationally syndicated SIRIUS XM radio talk show on overcoming pain called, Aches and Gains®. Naomi Judd, Joe Montana, and Maya Angelou have all been guests. His show has earned him the John and Emma Bonica Public Service Award from the American Pain Society, recognizing distinguished contributions to the field of pain medicine through public education, dissemination of information, and public service. Dr. Christo was selected as a Mayday Pain and Society Fellow, and named a “Hero” by The Pain Community, a patient advocacy association for his work on Aches and Gains. He was also honored by the American Society of Pain Educators as Pain Educator of the Year for his transformational work on public education through the media.
Dr. Christo is an invited lecturer both nationally and internationally, serves on 4 journal editorial boards, has published more than 100 articles and book chapters, co-edited 3 textbooks on pain, and actively teaches medical students, residents, and pain fellows. He’ a member of Men’s Health Magazine medical advisory board, serving as their first pain specialist.
Dr. Christo has directed or coordinated many national conferences that focus on educating both specialists and generalists on important aspects of pain diagnosis and treatment.
He serves on the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the American Academy of Integrative Pain Management, and has served on Advisory Boards for the American Academy of Pain Medicine, American Society of Anesthesiologists, The International Association for the Study of Pain, and the American Pain Society. He has also earned an MBA from the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School in Health Care Management.
- 2016: Pain Educator of the Year, American Society of Pain Educators
- 2016: The John and Emma Bonica Public Service Award, American Pain Society
- 2014: The Pain Community “Hero,” Patient Advocacy Association, The Pain Community
- 2014: America’s Top Physicians, Castle Connolly
- 2014: American’s Top Doctors, Castle Connolly
- 2014: Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors
- 2013: Association of University Anesthesiologists - Academic Honor Society
- 2012-2013: 150 Pain Management Physicians to Know, Becker’s Spine Review
- 2012-2013: Super Doctor for the Washington, DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia area, Super Doctors
- 2012: Top Doctors in Pain Management, Baltimore Magazine, Top Doctors
- 2011-2012: Best Doctors in America, Best Doctor physician, Best Doctors
- 2011: Top Doctor for Pain Management, US News & World Report
- 2011: Super Doctor for the Washington, DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia area, Super Doctors
- 2011: 70 Best Pain Management Physicians in America, Becker’s ASC Review
- 2011: American’s Top Doctors, Castle Connolly
- 2008-2009: Fellow, Mayday Pain and Society Fellowship Program: A Media and Policy Initiative, Mayday Fellows - One of six pain experts selected from the U.S. and Canada to advocate for better pain treatment by raising visibility with the media and policymakers.
- 2008: America’s Top Physicians, Anesthesiology: Guide to America’s Top Physicians, Consumer’s Research Council of America
- 2007-2008: Best Doctors in America, Best Doctor physician, Best Doctors
- 2007: Top Doctor in Pain Medicine/Anesthesiology: Baltimore Magazine, Top Doctors
- 2007: America’s Top Anesthesiologists: Guide to America’s Top Anesthesiologists, Consumer’s Research Council of America
- 2003, 2006: America’s Top Physicians, Pain Medicine: Guide to America’s Top Physicians, Consumer’s Research Council of America